Optima Steamer - How to descale
Why should I descale my machine? Descaling is a metal cleaning process that removes the buildup of limescale; a hard, off-white, chalky deposit that can impair the operation of various components. Regular descaling will increase the efficiency and extend the lifespan of your machine.
What you will need: Descaler or Vinegar*
Frequency: When your steam gun starts losing pressure. Recommended at least once a quarter, more frequently if the water is very hard in your area.
Time: 10 minutes + 2 hours while you wait for the scale to dissolve
1. With the boiler cold and not under pressure disconnect the unit from the mains water supply.
2. Drain the water from the machine and the water tank.
3. Leaving both hoses attached to the machine and after making sure they are not under pressure, take off both guns. Make sure that the resulting open ends of the hoses are secured and pointing towards a safe, well-ventilated area.
4. Put 5 litres of descaler* into the water tank. Then add 3 to 4 litres of clean water.
5. Heat the machine to standard working pressure.
6. Whilst it is heating up release the drain valve for a few seconds.
7. Switch the machine off and allow it to cool down and the pressure to drop to below 2 bar. This will take up to 2 hours and allows the mixture to dissolve the scale inside the boiler.
8. Switch unit on again and allow it to heat back up to working pressure. With the open ends secured and in a safe, well-ventilated area let steam out through both hoses (without the guns) until machine loses all pressure or runs out of solution.
9. Refill tank with clean water. Heat up again to working pressure. Then let steam out through both hoses until machine stops.
10. Refit both guns and reconnect to mains water. Unit can now be operated as normal.
*What type of vinegar should I use?
We recommend Ocet 10% Vinegar or white vinegar, you can either purchase vinegar from your local grocery store or online. The solution needed is 10% ascetic acid. Please do not use malt, rice, wine vinegar.
**Omega Water Softener
A simple and effective solution to the problem of scale, the Omega Softener Kit is a mobile, salt-based softener that attaches to all models of Optima Steamer. More information can be found on this page
Machine Service & Maintenance Information
More information on how to look after your Optima Steamer including step by step maintenance guide can be found on this page